Teachers frequently asked questions
Q: What is the teachers' bbs?
A: This is an electronic bulletin board system that communicates with you through your e-mail. The Catholic Schools Office uses this system to send you information regarding professional development, certification, and other important and interesting updates. You should receive an e-mail message when there is something new posted on the bulletin board system. You can click on the link in the e-mail message, or go to www.eriercd.org/teachers.asp to access the system. If you have questions or problems, contact Kathy Wagner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: I would like to apply for Instructional II certification. What should I do?
A: Go to the PDE website, http://www.pde.state.pa.us. Click on "Forms," and print out PDE338-G and PDE338-P. Read the directions attached to each form.
You complete 338-G.
338-P needs to be completed by the Catholic Schools Office; fill in ONLY part I of this form and send it to the Catholic Schools Office. A stamped, self-addressed envelope is greatly appreciated.
Contact your principal and ask him/her to complete an observation of you, using teacher evaluation form 427. Copies of this form are kept in the school office and at the Catholic Schools Office.
If you have additional questions, contact Kim Lytle at email@example.com.
Q: What events qualify for Act 48 hours?
A: An event must meet these requirements:
1. It must continue the professional education of the participant.
2. It must enhance student achievement.
3. It must relate to at least one of the following goals from the Act 48 plan the diocese has submitted to PDE:
- To develop a wider variety of authentic student assessments
- To use the data derived from student assessments in planning instruction
- To improve and implement educators’ basic technology skills
- To implement brain-based learning research in planning instruction
- To meet the varying needs of students in the regular classroom
- To learn and implement research-based best practices in specific areas of assignment and certification
4. It must qualify as one of the following subject areas, now required by PDE:
- Teaching and learning professional development
- Standards area curriculum and assessment
- Academic content studies
- Student social and health issues
- School administration