Reporting Abuse to the Diocese
Pastoral care and compassion for victims, as well as the protection of children and vulnerable adults, is a top priority of the Diocese of Erie. The diocese encourages anyone who has experienced sexual abuse or misconduct by a member of the clergy or any employee or volunteer of the church, to contact law enforcement. To report abuse to the independent investigators retained by the Diocese of Erie, email ErieRCD@KLGates.com. Victims or concerned individuals also are welcome to contact the diocese directly to report abuse at 814.451.1543. Counseling assistance is available for victims and/or their families through the diocesan victim assistance coordinator, Dr. Gerard Tobin, who can be reached at 814.451.1521.
Report Suspected Child Abuse
Anyone can report suspected child abuse 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
If you suspect a child is in immediate danger from abuse CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY.
• Report suspected child abuse by calling: CHILDLINE at 1-800-932-0313. Callers may choose to remain anonymous.
A mandated reporter is legally required to make a direct, immediate report of suspected or known abuse of a minor to Childline. Those who are employed or volunteer in a parish/school/agency are Mandated Reporters and should follow this procedure:
• To file a report of suspected child abuse online use the link below.
• If you do not have an account, click on "Create Individual Account."
• If you already have an account, click on "Individual Login" and then click on "Access My Referrals."
• Or call CHILDLINE at 1-800-932-0313
You will then need to complete form CY-47 within 24 hours of the phone call and file the form with the appropriate Office of Children and Youth Services:
Children and Youth Agencies by County
District Attorneys by County
Additional requirements for Mandated Reporters only:
• Employees or volunteers: notify the person in charge. The person in charge will send a copy of the report to the Office for the Protection of Children and Youth.
See Policy, Section V, A, 4a.
• If you are reporting suspected abuse by a school employee/administrator, see Policy, Section V, A, 4b for additional reporting procedures.