The National Catholic Committee on Scouting oversees the Catholic committee of concerned Catholic lay people and clergy who see as their mission the constructive use of the program of the Boy Scouts of America as a viable form of youth ministry with the Catholic youth of our nation. The NCCS provides religious awards that can be earned by a Catholic Scout. The Office of Youth & Young Adult Ministry works with the NCCS as a liaison between local Catholic scout leaders.
The National Catholic Committee for Girl Scouts USA and Camp Fire USA oversees, develops, implements, and evaluates religious recognition programs and training opportunities for diocesan and parish leadership and for Catholic leaders in Girl Scouting and Camp Fire. This committee also develops new national policies and guidelines to assist regions and dioceses in implementation of religious emblem programs and other programs developed by the NCCGSCF.
All adult scout leaders who are either: in troops chartered by a Catholic school or a parish, or are facilitators for any of the Catholic awards must complete the “Adult Acknowledgement as Practicing Catholic” form and then submit copies to the pastor or principal. It would be expected that any adult who passes on the Catholic faith to young people in ministry do so in a way that is authentic in both the words that are said and in the life that is lived. If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Youth & Young Adult Ministry for the Catholic Diocese of Erie, 814-824-1219.
ORDERING CATHOLIC MATERIALS
- The emblems are ordered through the Erie Diocese Office of Youth & Young Adult Ministry. Download, print, and submit this Boy Scout Emblem Order Form. See below, Award Presentations, for how these awards will be presented to scouts.
- Most scout books (Parvuli Dei, Ad Altare Dei, Light of Christ, and Pope Pius XII) can be purchased from the French Creek Council scout store or online at ScoutStuff.org.
- Booklets for the Rosary Series, Marian Series, Footsteps of the American Saints Series, the new Faith Series, and the International Activities: International Catholic Awareness and Blessed are the Merciful – Keep the Lamp Burning project (celebrating 100 years of Catholic Scouting) are available as free downloads from National Catholic Committee on Scouting (NCCS).
- The patches for the above mentioned series are purchased through the NCCS by using their NCCS Order Form.
- National award books for God Is Love, Family of God, I Live My Faith, Mary, the First Disciple, and the Spirit Alive can be ordered online.
- The patches and pins for the national awards are ordered from the Diocese of Erie Office of Youth & Young Adult Ministry.
It is at the parish level that each emblem or pin will be awarded for Cub Scout, Boy Scouts, and Girl Scouts. This method of presentation helps build the relationship up between the scout, his/her parents, and his/her pastor. As each award or pin is earned, the leader completes the proper order forms, and submits them to the Office of Youth & Young Adult Ministry Office. The awards will be orders and sent to the pastor along with a letter with information on the awards and the scout who has earned them. A congratulatory letter is also sent to the parent or leader which also lets them know that the award has been sent to the pastor. It is up to the parent/leader and their pastor to arrange for a time when the award can be presented during Mass so that the entire parish community can celebrate their young member’s accomplishments. This is usually done during a Sunday Mass.
You can read the new policy here: Policy for Presentation of Catholic Scouting Awards